Donate or Help NSW & QLD Flood effected 2022
If you have been affected by the flooding and need financial help please see this page with payments and grants.
This page is updated regularly as I find out about more ways to donate.
The flood event started in Gympie on the 27th Feb 2022. As of the 16th March people still need lots of help and will for months to come. What people need varies greatly depending on what stage they are at.
What People Need in the Cleaning up Phase
Preventing Mould –https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LQy_rk3xek
- – Heaters (27 degrees ideal) – lifts moisture
- – Dehumidifiers – removes moisture
- – Fans – speeds up evaporation
- – Air Filters – removes fungal particles
This is what people need in the first few days/weeks from someone who has been on the ground. FB post by Rachel Smith summarised and added to.
1. Petrol and Petrol powered Gurney’s
2. SOCKS – Dark, thick work socks are needed due to walking in mud. – not white socks. People feel bad when they trash nice things and white socks will just depress them more.
4. HATS – people need big broad brimmed hats
5. WORK CLOTHES – these will be trashed so they don’t want good clothes. Find long sleeved, cotton shirts, T-shirts, Work shorts
6. ITEMS FOR CLEAN UP. Shovels, high pressure hoses, brooms
7. Food that does not need storage – A lot of houses still don’t have the power on, (and the fridge /mircowave are all now at the Tip) so they can not store extra food.
8. “Food and water for Volunteers – all welcome” and a table and gazebo out somewhere people can access it easy.
9. If you are living in a house that is close to those affected run a hose down for them to use.
10. CHAIRS. Somewhere to sit. Knives, forks, spoons cups plates, bowls. They are needed now. As it seems even these are being thrown out. So people don’t have anything to eat off.
11. DARK TOWELS – even though you have a shower you are still covered in grim so no one needs white towels. But a dark towel is good
12. Face washers. Liquid soap. Shampoo. Toothpaste. hair comb, brushes – all good things right now.
13. SUGAR SOAP at this stage for washing down walls. BUCKETS, MOPS. BROOMS. SPONGES, RUBBER GLOVES (and a few pairs), Hands are copping a flogging here now….. GLASS CLEANER, PAPER TOWEL – there will be people desperate for those as they transition from throwing to cleaning.
14. ESKIES- priceless. Or see if they need ICE. Again this is liquid gold to someone who has been without power for days. People are in the zone of cleaning up and are there all day. They are not thinking “oh, yey, I will go and get ice now.” They are turning up, working, finishing, going to someone else’s place (if they are lucky), falling over and getting up to do the same again. All of the above is what is needed NOW and will be for the next few days – at least.
No one needs furniture, the houses are still drying out. You take furniture to a wet house, it will eventually be thrown out as the damp will get into the furniture……. So no furniture at this stage. (just chairs for them to sit on NOW).
In about a week to 10 days after the house has dried out
1. Bed & Mattress
After the houses are dried out THEN we can transition into all the nice stuff like furniture, but the first thing on this list will be a mattress. The pile of matresses at the Tip is a sight to behold. So many people will have no where to sleep…. So a bed and mattress will be the starting point.
2. Ask them what items they need most. It will differ for everyone.
Donate directly to people helping people right now
⭐️ LOCAL NSW GROUPS ⭐️
➡️ REVIVE THE NORTHERN RIVERS
This is an already established non-profit. Right now they are focused primarily on the flood recovery in Lismore.
➡️ NORTHERN RIVERS FLOOD RELIEF
This is the biggest local GoFundMe campaign, raising money to help those worst hit by this disaster:
➡️ NORTHERN NSW 2022 FLOOD FUNDRAISER
This fundraiser was started by Alisha Elliott, and is already doing great work on the ground here to help people: https://www.facebook.com/donate/444798500759012/10158203857971529/
➡️ BUY A BED
Support for Lismore & Ballina Floods – This helps buy air mattresses and sleeping bags for the evacuation centres
➡️ NORTHERN RIVERS WHITE GOODS APPEAL
➡️ BUNDJALUNG COMMUNITY FLOOD RELIEF
A campaign started by the Koori Mail to help the Aboriginal communities who have been devastated by this disaster
➡️ Murwillumbah and Tweed Valley
The Murwillumbah flood volunteer and donations hub is collecting donations required for the communities of the 2484 region which have been completely devastated by the 2022 flood.
➡️ CHILDRENS HEALTH DEFENSE
Australia Chapter – non-profit Australian Company Number 653 919 414. Its mission is to work tirelessly to end the childhood health epidemics by working to expose causes, eliminate harmful exposures, hold those responsible accountable, seek justice for those injured, and establish safeguards so it never happens to our children again.
➡️ Jessie Reimers
Areas of the Northern Rivers still need help with the clean-up.
All the requests are from organisations vetted by GIVIT as genuinely working with people in need. https://www.givit.org.au/whats-needed
Thanks to those who helped support the helicopter rescues
Pete Moriarty- https://www.facebook.com/donate/330738279011459/
Set up Your Own Fundraiser
Donate directly to organisations helping animals right now
If you have a stranded animal or want to help rescue stranded animals. See the pinned Facebook post below for what they need or donate money here.
Help with lost and found, rehoming animals and more.
Their Ipswich center is flood-damaged and all animals are in foster care. But all other centres are open. So they could also do with donations and support.
RSPCA – helps to rescue animals
If you see of or have an animal in distress Call 1300 ANIMAL(264 625)
RSPCA Animal Ambulances have received over 600 call-outs to flood-affected wildlife and displaced pets. Over 300 animals entered our Wildlife Hospital in just 5 days, including 84 on Monday, our busiest day yet.
WWF – EMERGENCY FLOODS APPEAL
Helping wildlife survive and recover from these devastating floods
Large Organisations - But Beware
Direct links to donation pages
Just keep in mind if you donate to these organisations the items or money may not go to these flood victims.
It may go to other people in the future. These organisations may also have high admin costs.
Please contact me if
– the links do not work
– you know of other fundraisers
Presentation I did on 14th Nov. Little did I know it would happen again so soon